Assessment Equity Improvement Project 2022
Assessment Equity Improvement Project
The City of Lockport has implemented a city-wide Assessment Equity Improvement Project. The goal of this project is to ensure all properties are assessed uniformly to ensure property owners are only paying their fair share of the tax burden.The City of Lockport has implemented a city-wide Assessment Equity Improvement Project. The goal of this project is to ensure all properties are assessed uniformly to ensure property owners are only paying their fair share of the tax burden.
If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the assessment office at 716.439.6609.
Phase I: 2020
Property Inventory Data Review and Updating:
- All residential, commercial and vacant land parcels will be reviewed to ensure the most current property inventory data is on file.
- NO ONE WILL BE ENTERING YOUR PROPERTY.
- Data Review Staff will be utilizing the most up to date aerial imagery which allows the staff to identify property characteristics and develop a digital property sketch of the structure(s).
- Staff will be conducting drive-by inspections from the public right of way to validate the results of the data review.
- City Assessment staff will be capturing all new digital photographs (exterior) of each property.
- Commercial property owners will receive an Income and Expense questionnaire in the Spring of 2020.
- January 2021 – residential property owners will receive a post card directing them to the City Property Data Website (OARS) to verify the updated property inventory information.
- Instructions will be provided on how to submit a request for further review if property inventory items are in question.
Phase II: 2021
Valuation and the Creation of the New Full Market Value Estimates
- The goal of the Assessment Equity Improvement Project is to create a New Full Market Value Estimate (100%)
- Property values should reflect what the property could sell for based on recent sales.
- Commercial property valuation also considers income value.
- Computer Assisted Valuation Models/Systems are created and utilized, however professional appraisers review the results for reasonableness.
- The city assessor will be working closely with the contractor and will have final approval of all valuation estimates.
Phase III: 2022
Delivery of New Assessments to Property Owners
- April 1, 2022 – New assessments mailed to property owners
- April Informal Reviews – Property owners can submit an Informal Review application if they disagree with the new full value estimate
- May 15, 2022 – Decision notices from the Informal Reviews are mailed to Property Owners.
- June 1, 2022 – Tentative Assessment Roll is filed.
- June 17, 2022 – Grievance Day, by appointment
- July 1, 2022 – Final Assessment Roll is filed.
- September 2022 – New assessments applied to school taxes
- December 2022 – New assessments applied to city and county taxes