Planning & Zoning

The City of Lockport’s zoning and planning laws are intended to ensure safe and durable construction efforts, while also establishing acceptable locations for residential, commercial and industrial properties within the city.

Permits are required for any new construction work or demolition activities. Applications can be printed online and submitted to city hall.

In addition, all contractors – including subcontractors – that work within the city must carry a license. Licenses are issued annually, and are valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 of each year.

Building Permits

Building permits are required for any repairs, replacement work or new construction activities. Applications must be completed and submitted to the building inspection office for review and approval before starting any work.

Demolition Permit

A demolition permit is required to demolish any structure within the city limits. Find the application on the .

Planning Board

The City of Lockport Planning Board meets on the first Monday of each month at 5 p.m. Requests for consideration at board meetings must be submitted 10 days prior to the meeting (with exceptions for holidays).

Zoning Board of Appeals

The Zoning Board of Appeals meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. Five appeals are heard each month, and requests must be submitted to the Building Inspection Department 15 days prior to the meeting date.

Niagara County Planning

Variance or planning change requests must go through the Niagara County Planning Board for review if the property is located with 500 feet of the boundary of a:

• City, town or village
• State or county land with a public building
• Existing or proposed park or recreation area
• Existing or proposed state or county parkway, road or highway, or a county-owned drainage channel 
• Farm operated located in an agricultural district (except for area variances)

Submissions require a fee, which must be paid when submitted.

Contractor's License

The contractor’s license application process includes:

• Application form
• Proof of Insurance ($300,000 liability minimum, Workman’s Comp. – C105.2 form or State Insurance Fund, DB120 or a waiver from the Workman’s Compensation Board)

Licenses are valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 annually, and are not prorated.

Master Plumber Test

The master plumber test is given once each year, with the date determined in January. Applications to take the test must be submitted and given approval from the Plumbing Board.

There is a fee to take the test. Please contact us for more information.